Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sick Day

My daughter is home today with a fever. Sick Day!


Hey, remember those? I'm showing my age, but here is what a sick day meant when I was in elementary school:


1. Old TV, including I Dream of Jeanie, F Post, Family Affair, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and Gomer Pyle.


2. Sick food: Chicken Noodle soup, ginger ale, saltines, and jello.


3. Board games: Snakes and ladders, Candyland, and Sorry. Not Monopoly - that took too long.


4. A midday nap: not so fun back then, but now it's the zenith of perfection.


5. Privileged view of kids going off in the bus and knowing you didn't have to go. (Insert evil snicker)


6. Reading in bed, part one: The allowed reading, like Pippi Longstocking, Moomintrolls, Nancy Drew.
I'll just sit here in this marsh and examine a clock. As you do.


7. Reading in bed, part two: The forbidden reading: Archie comics, Vampirella, and the babysitter's Sidney Sheldon. Pure, unadulterated dreck.
Wedgie alert, girlfriend. How about some nice yoga pants?


Good times.

2 comments:

Johanna Garth said...

Oh, I hope she's not too sick so she can't enjoy all the modern-day joy of a sick day (wii, t.v. on demand, delivery food??)

I was with you on all your items except for the first one. Sadly, my parents jettisoned the tv when I was growing up.

Krista McLaughlin said...

It must be one of those days... I'm not feeling the best today either. I used to watch I Dream of Jeannie! I loved that show!

Hope your little one feels better!